Tuesday, August 7, 2007

be brave

So I'm reading this book about homeschooling and I get a very nervous feeling. My pulse is up and I have butterflies and I wonder if it is because I have stumbled upon something that I truly desire: to live with my kids every day, answer questions deeply, let them follow their interests, follow my own. September is looming and it is so loaded that I can hardly breathe. Back to work for me and back to school for monkeyboy. I hate the idea of us each in separate classrooms, learning about how to manage and be managed. Our summer has been so rich and full of detail. And space. Any discussion or thought of institutions this week - school, church-has put me so on edge, made me drive my heels in. Oh universe, send me some reckoning. Tell me that I am not just summer crazy, but deeply lucid. As I wrote this, three fire trucks came to stop on my street, silent,but blazing with lights.

5 comments:

Lewis/Xoyon Family said...

Hey Nance,
I love this blog because you express so well the feelings I too have about being apart from Sophia - it's seems so nuts that I go off to a job I semi-enjoy and let someone else teach her about life and look after her...I question and cry about this often, but still get up and go to work...

nanamamma said...

Yes. I thought it would get easier as he got older but obviously it hasn't. I'm still questioning. And still crying! (when I'm not doing a little dance to celebrate being kid free for a few hours...)God, who knew parenting would be so schizophrenic?

Bobealia... said...

Have you ever noticed that home-schooled kids are incredibly brilliant and creative and completely nutbar?

nanamamma said...

You know, I don't think I actually know any homeschooled kids personally. But that all makes sense - especially the nutbar part.

Anonymous said...

Hey nancy - we gotta talk about this homeschooling thing. I did a whole bunch of research on it back in the day when I wanted to "rise out" of education (and never become a teacher) and I can suggest heaps of books and resources for you to look for more guidance. I'm totally for it hon, I think monkeyboy will do really well with it - although you need some kid-free time too! but there are loads of groups and the like. anyway, call me,
Vickie